National Center for AIDS and STD Control (NCASC) carried out Regional Data Review and Verification Workshop for HIV Program of Mid-Western Development Region on Jan 10-12, 2017 in Nepalgunj, Banke. All invited districts of the mid-western development region participated in the event except officials of Rukum and Rapti Sub-Regional Hospital, Dang. HIV focal persons and stat officer participated in the event. The medical recorders from Bheri Zonal Hospital, Banke, Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Surkhet, District Hospital, Pyuthan participated. The representative from implementing agencies (Save the Children, FHI360 and USAID) also participated in the workshop. There was a total of 25 participants.
The primary objectives of data review and validation workshop were to:
1) Discuss the status HIV-related reporting to HMIS by the service sites in the district
2) Verify component wise HIV data reported by the sites available in the districts/regions
3) Discuss issues and challenges related to HIV-related recording and reporting by sites
4) Identify improvement areas and support for strengthening site-specific reporting of HIV data
Key issues/challenges identified:
The key issues and challenges identified during the workshop were:
• Timely and sufficient supply of HIV tools at SDPs level
• Inadequate HIV-related R&R training to all health workers especially hospital-based staffs
• Inadequate monitoring and supervision from central and regional level
• Coordination between statistical officer and program focal person
• Proper knowledge about HIV terminology to statistical and medical recorder staffs
• Digitalization of the recording and reporting
• Insufficient budget to carry our review meeting at district
The workshop participants recommended for the timely and adequate supply of HMIS tools at district and SDPs level. They suggested organising review and verification workshop regularly at the district level to verify the data on time. Participants highlighted for timely feedback and a frequent on-site visit from the centre and regional level. They also emphasised to simplify the reporting tool with essential variables only.